- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- cheddar cheese, for sprinkling
- greek yogurt/sour cream or guacamole, for topping
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a large casserole dish (9×13-inch or similar) with cooking spray and set aside.
Place 2 cups water and quinoa in a large saucepan, then bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
In a large, deep sauté pan or pot, heat the olive oil over medium high. Add the onion and bell pepper, then sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Continue to sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, drained tomatoes and cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans, reserved quinoa, Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Top with remaining mozzarella and cheddar, then bake, uncovered until hot and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil, then continue cooking until the cheese is lightly browned, about 3-4 additional minutes, watching carefully so that the cheese does not burn. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.